Saturday, April 2, 2011

From Pigeon Cove to Monterey Bay

//We, Miss Scarlett and I, have reached the Pacific. In February I stood at the edge of the Atlantic Ocean in Pigeon Cove, Massachusetts; today I came around the curve at Seaside, California, and there was the bay. The last time I'd motored across the United States, I was nine years old. I'm glad to have done it again--it's an incredible land. // Yesterday we crossed the Sierra Nevada, which is spectacular, still very deep in snow, and rough road (chains on the truck tires during bad weather chew up the pavement). //But back to Battle Mountain. Western Nevada has a stark loveliness to it that I wasn't really prepared for, and it makes me go back and look at all that dusty tan rock from the day before through a different lens. Yes, the trek across the state is long, but everywhere you look you're either in mountains or down on the flat looking at mountains. As I've always looked to the mountains as my center, the vistas were calming and helped me focus on the beauty of all that rose, or fell, around me. Oh, what a beautiful morning! //In Sparks I stopped for gas ($3.80 per gallon) and practically inhaled the warm air and the sight of blooming trees! The Truckee River runs through town watering the flowering crab, early pear trees, and lovely purple shrubs. Ah, April, and not a fool in sight (present company excepted). //The fairly fast climb up to Donner Summit and the long descent to Sacramento had me focusing more on road and traffic; the clot of traffic through Sacramento slowed, sped, slowed, sped--as you'd expect for a Friday noontime. Taking I-5 south, I drove past Stockton, noting that the valley's agriculture thrives. The hills showed emerald green, and recent heavy rains topped off all the reservoirs. Cutting west to Gilroy, I seamed through those brilliant hills, even recognizing patches of bright orange California poppies. //Then came the familiar home stretch through Prunedale and Seaside with glimpses of the ocean off to my right between the dunes. Highway 1 is closed to the south of Carmel; about a lane and a half of the two lane road slid off into the sea in the last day or so, and the northbound traffic moved heavily and slowly. But with the windows open to the breezes, I drove up the hill to my cousin's house, and after a delicious dinner in Pacific Grove, the bed beckoned. //Today (Saturday) will be spent here in Carmel, then tomorrow it's off north to Santa Rosa with a stop in Sausalito for lunch with last summer's Camp Denali roommate. What a wonderful celebration of place and person this trip is!

No comments:

Post a Comment