Saturday, April 23, 2011

Rural Alaska Living. Ha!




Well, I'm here. My month at the East End of Denali National Park started last Monday night, and my job training for the [second] summer's work at Camp Denali/North Face Lodge started Tuesday morning. The learning curve is steeper some days than others, but I like it--it makes me feel as if I'm contributing again and solves one of my problems with this whole 'retired' thing. The main problem. Chiefly, how do I still feel productive on a more-than-personal scale when I no longer have paid employment? You can only knit so many scarves.


Perhaps it's going to be this way for a while...as long as I pursue this summer-in-Alaska-winter-in-Milwaukee plan. Summers of work, winters of sloth. Maybe I need to quit thinking of it as sloth!


Anyway, here I am, living and sort of house-sitting in the lap of luxury. Art on the walls, carpet on the floor, and down duvet on the bed. Right now the bread is rising, later on I'll start the kettle of soup. Because we're still in late winter here (note the picture--the view to the south of the lake), I've swapped the intrepid but decidedly delicate Miss Scarlett for a company Jeep Cherokee with snow tires and four-wheel drive. Tomorrow I'll venture out on the Park road to sightsee. I'll be careful, though, because the bears are awake, and they're cranky after their winter's hibernation.


The transition from city life and road trip seems to have been effected, and my mind is back into rural life. I have a stockpile of food to last me until I head out to Camp, the distances required to restock have been duly recorded, and I'm hopeful that I'll get to knitting group next Wednesday evening.


As the weeks go by, I'll have more to say, and my posts won't be quite so short. In the meantime...on to the soup!




No comments:

Post a Comment